For early-career researchers at KIT, the following websites might provide useful information:
- Karlsruhe House of Young Scientists at KIT (KHYS): KHYS serves as a platform for communication and interaction for all KIT junior researchers. It is aimed at both doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers up to 2 years after completion of their PhD. It provides doctoral students with advice and assistance and supports them from the beginning of their thesis right through to their successful PhD graduation.
- International Affairs (INTL) - the KIT unit that supports international activities in research, teaching and innovation. INTL supports KIT’s international activities in research and teaching. It hosts the International Students Office (IstO), which provides information and services regarding study and funding opportunities, preparation and realization of a stay at KIT and about student life in Germany and Karlsruhe. It also hosts the International Scholars & Welcome Office (IscO), the central contact point for everything related to the international mobility of researchers. It supports international researchers, lecturers, PhD students, postdocs and scholarship holders who come to KIT for a research stay. The unit also offers advice to KIT scientists who plan to go abroad or return from abroad.
- Research Office (FOR) - the central service unit at KIT for information, counseling, and support of KIT scientists (especially young scientists) in the acquisition of research funding and the coordination of research projects.
- For international PhD students coming to KIT/IMK-IFU, an internal document Newcomers Guide is available - ask your IMK-IFU supervisor for it.
- MICMoR – Helmholtz Research School on ‘Mechanisms and Interactions of Climate Change in Mountain Regions’, KIT/IMK-IFU, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Other useful websites for early-career researchers providing information on research and funding in Germany:
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD): The DAAD supports the international exchange of students and scholars, awards grants and scholarships, supports the internationalization of German universities, promotes German studies and the German language abroad, assists developing countries in establishing effective universities and advises decision makers on matters of cultural, education and development policy. Its website provides information on how the German university system works, on German research institutions at a glance, on international doctoral programs in Germany, on study and research in Germany and on German funding programs for scientists and researchers. For some downloadable brochures see https://www.daad.de/deutschland/nach-deutschland/publikationen/en/.
- Research in Germany: The “Research in Germany” portal is the central information platform of the initiative to "Promote Innovation and Research in Germany" and is maintained by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). The portal is an information platform for all looking to find out more about Germany's research landscape and its latest research achievements, it provides an overview of the research and funding opportunities in Germany. Additionally, practical information supports foreign scientists and researchers in their decision to collaborate with German research organizations or to complete a research stay in Germany. For some downloadable brochures see http://www.research-in-germany.de/dachportal/en/Infoservice/Publications.html.
- KISSWIN: KISSWIN is an online communication and information platform for young researchers; it is funded by the BMBF. It aims at making the German research funding system as well as career opportunities transparent, employees interested in graduate studies, awakening curiosity about research in Germany and encouraging and support students interested in research to find their own way within the world of science. KISSWIN wants to provide information, promotion and advice for young researchers and offers free services related to scientific careers, workshops dealing with career topics, job databases as well as databases providing information on funding opportunities and funding organizations, current news, announcements and events concerning scientific career paths, funding opportunities and funding organizations. For interesting brochures see http://www.kisswin.de/en/kisswinde/brochures.html.